Member Q+A - Mohamed H.S. Awwad
We meet another active community member - Mohamed, a junior scientist at the university hospital of Heidelberg in Germany.
1. What is your full name, job title and where do you work?
Mohamed H.S. Awwad, I currently work as a junior scientist at the university hospital of Heidelberg in Germany.
2. What are your main research interests?
Cancer immunotherapy, drug design and development.
3. Describe your work in a tweet
“Research is about doing it in the simplest way possible”
4. What big projects are you working on right now?
The role of transcriptional factors in the regulation of cancer immune response.
5. Who do you collaborate with?
German cancer research centre (DKFZ), University of Mainz and other collaborations with colleagues from Heidelberg university.
6. Tell us a bit about your career so far?
I started my research career as a trainee researcher at the Max-Delbrück centre for molecular medicine- Berlin; there, I got in touch with research environment for the first time. Then I joined Heidelberg University in 2015.
7. What are you most proud of?
I am proud of being able to establish my own career and research in the field of cancer immunotherapy in one of the greatest universities in Germany.
8. What’s your interest in the Cancer-Immune Setpoint?
I am very much interested in the concept itself. I mean the idea of having a network where scientists could share their knowledge and maybe discuss - it is great!
9. What do you hope it will achieve?
I really hope it will be generalized, achieving something like scientific social media where scientists can professionally discuss their findings from all over the world.
10. What are your hopes for the future of cancer immunotherapy?
I hope for better understanding of the genetic variations that lead to different responses for the currently approved drugs.
11. What advice do you have for others working in the field?
Keep looking on the very small details and differences that could make the big change of whole field. Always remember that you are doing a great job by paving the way to cancer therapy!
12. What do you do to wind down?
Not the best answer: Maybe watching Netflix!
13. Tell us something unusual about yourself
I love playing PS4-Fifa 2017 game - after having successful and good day!
Join in today!
We need more of our community members to contribute their ideas - please go to the cancer-immune setpoint (on a computer rather than mobile) and add to or comment on the interactive framework. All contributions are welcome, no matter how big or small!
Please see our ‘how to’ post if you need a quick reminder about what you need to do.